Sunday, June 3, 2012

a note from Dawn

June 2

Our journey to Tanzania took almost 2 full days of travel and we arrived early Wednesday morning in Dar. While in Dar, we visited the fish market where we saw sharks and the coastal scenery. The climate in Dar was breastly hot and the smell of the fish market was unappetizing. I wonder how they sell fish with the smell hanging in the air. We made friendship bracelets all day on Thursday, while Ben set up our phone line. Our final day in Dar was spent at the beach. The Indian Ocean is absolutely breathtaking and the water was very refreshing. The final note about our time in Dar regards our new friends. They shared their culture with us and taught us Swahili. We spent many hours talking with him about their country and their lives. On Saturday May 26th we traveled to Hanga. I was a 19 hour bus ride and we arrive at the Hostel (guest house) at midnight.  While in Hanga we have visited the schools toured and worked in the dispensery,  traveled to Songea, climbed a small mountain, visited a large hospital and made many new Tanzanian friends! It also seems that everyone is taking turns getting sick and has their fair share of ‘issues’ all laughable in retrospect. I have been fortunate enough not to be ill. A dog named samba (lion) bit krystal, our joke is that she has rabies. Tulips stuff got lost on her way here and she received her luggage yesterday. We made a new friend who is called panga boolay. We call me Crazy Guy Maliki. He is the town drunk who we run into once and a while. The finally funny story occurred while we all were sleeping. I wanted to take a shower, but the water was not working. I did not turn the water off however and woke up at 6 am to the sound of water rushing from my faucet. I got out to bed to turn it off and found that my entire room hallway and Tulips room across the hallway. Opps! Finally today the national torch traveled through Hanga. It is usually on Mnt Kilimanjaro. We all got to hold it!

Badi (later)

2 comments:

  1. Dolly,
    Thrilled to hear from you!! This is a trip that you will never forget. I am glad you haven't been sick and pray that stroke of good luck will remain with you. How's the bug repellent holding out? I prayed for all of you during Mass tonight. Stay together and hold hands crossing streets. I love you! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, love seeing photos of you!! This must be such an amazing adventure!! Just think, Dolly, you will be 21 on Thursday. Please accept a pretend birthday hug from me...across 4,000 miles!! Be sure to read birthday cards from us...tucked in your suitcase. I love you and will expect to sit at your feet while you tell zillions of stories from Africa!! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete